Portumna town is situated to the west of the point where the River Shannon enters Lough Derg. Its bridge is the largest early- twentieth century swivel bridge in Europe.
Portumna Castle, now open to the public, was built by Richard Burke or de Burgo , 4th Earl of Clanricarde in 1618. It was gutted by fire in 1826. The castles 17th century walled kitchen is also open to the public.
Close by is the ruined Dominican Priory with its fine terraced windows and an unusual west doorway, surrounded by a window and its cloister which was partially restored in 1954.
A visit to the Irish Workhouse Centre is a must as it tells the history of workhouses in Ireland during the Great Famine. It was opened in the old Portumna Workhouse to the north-east of the town, and received the overall Galway Heritage award in 2011 for its exciting conservation and redevelopment project on its nine acre site.
Portumna Forest Park on the shores of Lough Derg, covering some 1100 acres is managed by Coilte as an amenity area. Sixteen species of wild mammals reside within the Forest Park and 85 different type of birds breed within the Park.
Portumna Golf Club is set in the middle of the Forest Park and the holes are laid out through mature deciduous and evergreen trees and herds of deer can frequently be seen roaming the course.
Marine tourism is to the fore in Portumna and it has two public Harbours as well as one private one and boats are to be seen plying the Shannon all the year around whether for pleasure or angling.
Portumna has its own Tourist Office on Abbey Street Tel.09097 41867.
Its location coordinates are: 53 05’21 “N 8 13 08 W
Portumna’s fine Hurling Club won the All-Ireland Senior Club Hurling Championship in 2006,2008 and 2009 and have won five Galway county titles during this period also.
- Next >>