Written by Administrator. Posted in Sample Data-Articles

Meelick population wise is quite small but has many popular attractions as it is steeped in history.

Meelick coordinates 53 10 3 North

 Meelick is dominated by its Abbey  which was founded in 1414 by the O Madden family of the Order of Franciscans and is according to local sources the oldest church in Ireland still in use for Catholic worship. The original walls were exposed during recent restoration work and other features worth noting are the  mounted mural slabs in false relief with Latin and English inscriptions, the small effigy of Saint Francis on the south wall, dating from the fifteenth century, and the single squat arch piece on the door to the sacristy, The corbelled remains of the cloister are to be found in the ruins surrounding the church.

 Melelick Weir and its adjoining rampart, was erected to control the river levels. It houses the mechanical winch used to raise and lower the sluices in winter to regulate the water flow and control flooding. Meelick Lock is one of the busiest on the Shannon Waterway and was built in the 19th. century. The river crossing at this location was guarded by substantial defences including a Martello Tower.

 Meelick is well regarded  location for fishing, primarily salmon and wild brown trout.

The village regularly attracts a large number of fishing tourists from England.

 Meelick Hurling Club is regarded  as one of the oldest in Ireland  having been founded in 1884. It competed in its first All Ireland  Hurling final in 1887 but  were defeated by Thurles of Tipperary on that occasion.

Due to declining population Meelick has merged with neighbouring Eyrecourt to form the Meelick –Eyrecourt Club.